Tiny Turtle Pokémon
Rain Dish (Hidden)
|Pokédex color||Egg groups|
|19.8 lbs.||9.0 kg||1'08"||0.5 m|
|Generation IV||Generation V|
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Squirtle is a small, light-blue Pokémon with an appearance similar to that of a turtle. Like turtles, Squirtle has a shell that covers its body with holes that allow its limbs, tail, and head to be exposed. Unlike a turtle, Squirtle is ordinarily bipedal. Squirtle is seen in the WiiWare games Pokémon Rumble and My Pokémon Ranch.
Special abilities[edit | edit source]
Squirtle has the ability Torrent, which boosts the power of its water type attacks by 150%, if its health drops to 33% or below.
Squirtle also has the natural ability to shoot water from its mouth, which is where the bulk of its attacks comes from.
Evolution[edit | edit source]
In the anime[edit | edit source]
Ash Ketchum owns a Squirtle, which he obtained in the episode Here Comes the Squirtle Squad. The Squirtle Squad was a group of Squirtle that were causing a number of disruptions in a small town. It wasn't until Ash arrived that they turned from doing bad to doing good, by becoming a firefighting squad. The leader then joined Ash, then much later returned to the squad and is currently where it is located. It does come back every now and then, to help Ash in a battle. Additionally, as revealed in the first episode, Ash wanted to have a Squirtle as his starter Pokémon.
Game info[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
|Red/Blue||Starter Pokémon from Professor Oak in Pallet Town||One|
|Yellow||Received from a Cop in Vermilion City||One|
|FireRed/ LeafGreen||Starter Pokémon from Professor Oak in Pallet Town||One|
|HeartGold/SoulSilver||Reward from Professor Oak after defeating Red||One|
|Black/White||Poké Transfer, Dream World||None|
|Black 2/White 2||Poké Transfer, Dream World||None|
|X/Y||Received as a gift from Professor Sycamore after battling him||One|
Pokédex entries[edit | edit source]
|Red||After birth, its back swells and hardens into a shell. Powerfully sprays foam from its mouth.|
|Yellow||Shoots water at prey while in the water. Withdraws into its shell when in danger.|
|Stadium||It takes time for the shell to form and harden after hatching. It sprays foam powerfully from its mouth.|
|Gold||The shell is soft when it is born. It soon becomes so resilient, prodding fingers will bounce off it.|
|Silver||The shell, which hardens soon after it is born, is resilient. If you poke it, it will bounce back out.|
|Crystal||When it feels threatened, it draws its legs inside its shell and sprays water from its mouth.|
|Ruby||Squirtle's shell is not merely used for protection. The shell's rounded shape and the grooves on its surface help minimize resistance in water, enabling this Pokémon to swim at high speeds.|
|Emerald||Its shell is not just for protection. Its rounded shape and the grooves on its surface minimize resistance in water, enabling Squirtle to swim at high speeds.|
|FireRed||When it retracts its long neck into its shell, it squirts out water with vigorous force.|
|Diamond||It shelters itself in its shell, then strikes back with spouts of water at every opportunity.|
Spin-off game data[edit | edit source]
Learnset[edit | edit source]
Generation I[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Squirtle/Learnset Generation I
Generation II[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Squirtle/Learnset Generation II
Generation III[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Squirtle/Learnset Generation III
Generation IV[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Squirtle/Learnset Generation IV
Generation V[edit | edit source]
|Level||Move||Power||Accuracy||PP||Type||Damage Type||Contest Type||Appeal||Jam|
|Bold indicates this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
Sprites[edit | edit source]
Origins[edit | edit source]
- English: Squirtle's English name can possibly both be a combination of the words "turtle", and "squirt" Turtle would be the animal it's based of off and squirt means to spray water or small, or a combination between the words 'turtle", and "squirrel" considering it's tail looks similar to a squirrel.
- Japanese: ゼニガメ (Zenigame in Romaji) came from the Japanese words Zeni (銭) which means money and Kame (亀) which means turtle.
- French: "Carapuce" comes from the combination of the words "carapace" (shell) and "puce"(flea) which could have been used because of the "cute" connotation that this word sometimes implies when used in French (i.e: "puce" is often used to refer to a little girl).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Squirtle is a playable character in the game Super Smash Bros. Brawl as one of the Pokémon Trainer's three Pokémon. Ivysaur and Charizard are the other two.
- Across the many Generations, Squirtle's sprite color has changed noticeably: in Generation I it was light blue, in Generation II it was a dark shade of blue, and finally, the color scheme from Generation III and onwards is teal.