- "Eyes brimming with dark flame, this man rejected everything other than himself in order to bring about one singular justice...' That's part of a novel I'm writing. I was inspired by the challenger who was just here, and somehow I got a little sad... Excuse me. You're a challenger, right? I'm the Elite Four's Ghost-type Pokémon user, Shauntal, and I shall be your opponent."
- — Shauntal in Pokémon Black and White.
Shauntal (Japanese: シキミ Shikimi) is the first member of Unova's Elite Four who specializes in using Ghost-type Pokémon.
Shauntal has purple hair and glasses; her outfit is a purple "dress" with dark purple stocking and pink shoes. She wears an additional black collar to her outfit and black gloves. Her books and pens are pink. In short, her appearance is varying shades of gloomy colors.
A bit of a bookworm, Shauntal loves to write stories. She is fascinated with her Ghost Pokémon, often using them, and the trainers she battles, as the muse of inspiration for her novels.
If the player chooses the "haunted library" room in the Pokémon League, they will find that Shauntal is adding onto her latest book, reading the work aloud. She then notices the player and apologizes for not noticing them; the passage she was working on is based on her last challenger - a young man with a powerful will to see through his ambitions. Concluding her explanation, Shauntal informs the player that they will begin their Pokémon League battle.
|BW battle sprite
||B2W2 battle sprite
- 1st Battle
Pokémon Black and White Versions 2[edit | edit source]
- First battle (Normal)
- First battle (Challenge)
- Rematch (Normal)
- Rematch (Challenge)
Part of Shauntal's name is "haunt", which is something ghosts are known to do when they don't cross over.
The Battle against Shauntal.
- Shauntal's usage of Ghost Pokémon coupled with the fact that she writes novels may be a reference to a Ghostwriter, a person who writes a novel or article for someone else and gives them the credit.
- Shauntal resembles that of Velma Dinkley from Scooby-Doo, they both have similar appearances, including clothing and glasses, both are intelligent and both are fascinated with ghosts.
- Shauntal's Pokémon have a secondary type which seems to be based on the four classical elements; Chandelure being Fire, Golurk being Earth, Drifblim being Air, and Jellicent being Water.
- With the exception of Golurk, who is genderless, all of Shauntal's Pokémon are female.
- Golurk is also her only Pokémon not to know Shadow Ball.
- Shauntal carries around a pen and a blank book so she could write the next chapter of her novel.
- Under Jellicents description, the Black & White Prima game guide says Moves to watch out for: Hydro Pump Ball, accidentally combining Shadow Ball with Hydro Pump.
- Shauntal is a lefty, according to the way she holds her pen.
- Shauntal is the third female Elite Four member to use Ghost-type Pokémon. The other two being Agatha and Phoebe.
- Shauntal bases her stories from her battles and her Pokémon team.
- Cofagrigus (along with Banette and Mismagius in B2W2) is her only pure Ghost Pokémon.
- Shauntal mentions that Volkner was a challenger she battled in the past.