Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
A Pokémon Professor (ポケモン博士 Pokémon Expert) is a veritable expert on the Pokémon World. They are notable for giving rookie Trainers their Starter Pokémon. Coincidentally, all of the Professors from the main-stream Pokémon series are named after a plant: Oak, Elm, Ivy, Birch, Rowan, and Juniper. The Professors are also responsible for the distribution of the Pokédex, an indispensable tool for Trainers wishing to complete the National Pokédex.
List of Pokémon Professors
- Professor Samuel Oak, whom heralds from the Kanto region. His specialty is the study of the relationships between people and Pokémon.
- Professor Elm, whom heralds from the Johto region. His specialty is the study of breeding patterns and interactions between Pokémon.
- Professor Birch, whom heralds from the Hoenn region. His specialty is the study of Pokémon habitats in correlation with human existences.
- Professor Rowan, whom heralds from the Sinnoh region. His specialty is the study of Pokémon evolutionary patterns.
- Professor Aurea Juniper, whom heralds from the Unova region. Her specialty is the study of Pokémon origins in relation to mythology.
- Professor Hastings, whom heralds from the Fiore, Almia and Oblivia regions. His specialty is the study of connecting with Pokémon on a greater friendship level. To this extent, he created the Capture Styler, an indispensable tool used by Pokémon Rangers. (Pokémon Ranger series only)
- Cedric Juniper, a former Pokémon Professor and father of Professor Juniper.
In the series' extensive medium, there are a variety of Pokémon Professors, many of which stem from the Pokémon anime. This is a comprehensive list of such professors, whose role is limited to being in the anime only.
- Professor Fuji created the genetic clone of Mewtwo on New Island.
- Professor Lund, the foremost expert in terms of Deoxys.
- Dr. Akihabara, credited with creating the Pokemon Transfer System and discovering the cyber-species of Porygon.
- Professor Felina Ivy is the professor in the Orange Islands.
Conversely, there are also Pokémon Professors whose role is limited to being featured in manga-related material. Such persons will be listed here.
- Professor Yanase Berlitz, whose research revolved around methods to control Legendary Pokémon. Is also the mother of Platinum Berlitz, a Pokédex Holder and heir to the Berlitz Family throne. (Pokémon Adventures series only)
- Professor Berlitz is an associate and assistant to Professor Rowan. (Pokémon Adventures series only)
- Although all canon Pokémon Professors are named after trees (For example, Oak, Elm, Birch, etc) the Pokémon Professors in games outside of main franchise versions do not follow this pattern.