The wiki is being updated with the Pokémon template. Since the update is being done by bot, there will be errors on some pages.
If you see an error caused by the update, feel free to fix it and if you need help with the template, ask Crimsonnavy.
We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
Pokémon, known as Pocket Monsters (ポケットモンスターPoketto Monsutā) in Japan, is a fictional species that inhabits the Pokémon World. The term "Pokémon", in addition to referring to the Pokémon franchise itself, also collectively refers to the (at least) 721 fictional species that have made appearances in Pokémon media. Normally, Pokémon that live in the Pokémon World replace the animals which inhabit the world, although sometimes real world animals appear to exist in the Pokémon World.
Pokémon come in a variety of shapes, some are identical to normal animals such as Rattata's similar appearance to a rat, some take the form of plants such as Exeggutor which resembles a coconut tree. Sometimes Pokémon share no resemblance to any known animals or plants, a few even having humanoid or machine-like shape.
Normally, Pokémon will start their life from Pokémon Eggs through breeding process, but there are some cases that a Pokémon is not born in hatching methods, such as the Legendary Pokémon.
After Pokémon hatch from an egg, they become known as Baby Pokémon, which is the pre-evolution of Pokémon. By having proper training from their trainer, the Pokémon will receive experience points and level up. When given an Evolotion Stone, the Pokémon will gain a different form, giving them a new appearance and new abilities their previous form did not possess. This transition is called evolution.
Pokémon also have genders as well, it determines whether the Pokémon is male or female in the Pokémon video games. Some Pokémon have a greater chance of being one gender than another, such as Blastoise which has a 87.5% chance of being male, but only a 12.5% chance of being female. Some pokémon can only be one gender, such as Froslass and Hitmontop. There are also moves that will only work when Pokémon are certain genders.
In certain cases, some Pokémon are classified as genderless, such as the machine type Pokémon and the Legendary Pokémon.
Relationship with Human Beings
In the world of Pokémon, human beings have a strong relationship with Pokémon like Pokémon Trainers, who capture and train the creatures in their spare time.
Types and Attributes
There are multiple types of Pokémon, which determine the strengths and weaknesses of different Pokémon species. They lay the foundation of a complex yet mostly logical "rock-paper-scissors" or "balance of powers" system that applies to every Pokémon and their respective moves. Some advantages and disadvantages are based on common sense (e.g. Fire-type Pokémon being weak to Water-type attacks), while others are not as obvious (e.g. Fire-type attacks being strong against Steel-type Pokémon, possibly because fire melts metal when at high temperatures).