- "One look tells me many things about you. Together, you and your Pokémon overcame all the challenges you faced, however difficult. It means you triumphed over any personal weaknesses, too. The power you learned... I can feel it emanating from you. That's enough talking. Let's get on with why you are here. I, Cynthia, accept your challenge as the Pokémon League Champion! There won't be any letup from me!"
- — Cynthia in the games
Cynthia is a powerful trainer who has become an Elite Four Champion. Her grandmother runs the Pokémon Research Lab in Celestic Town. She enjoys visiting the Solaceon Town Ruins. Later in Pokémon Galactic Battles, she helps fight Team Galactic as well.
Cynthia originates from Celestic Town, where her grandmother lives. She fights for what is right, and cares for all kinds of Pokémon, good Pokémon as well as bad Pokémon. She is nice to everyone, even to Paul. Cynthia is Sinnoh's favorite Pokémon Trainer. She's always on the number one list for champions throughout the Pokémon world. She says "Battle Dance" after calling a Pokémon out for battle. Cynthia travels Sinnoh looking at ruins and studying myths having to do with Legendary Pokémon. Cynthia also makes acquaintances with Hareta in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl adventure.
In the games
The Sinnoh champion Cynthia's room
In Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Cynthia appears now and again and helps the player out with various obstacles. She is also seen investigating various sites having to do with Legendary Pokémon. Her final appearance in the game is as the Elite Four Champion. She can also be battled in Pokémon Platinum.
Cynthia can be seen in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver standing in front of an Arceus and surrounded by three unusual circles at the Sinjoh Ruins. This special event can be unlocked by placing the special 12th Movie Arceus in your party and going to the Ruins of Alph. It enables you to obtain either a Level 1 Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina.
In Pokémon Black and White and Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 you can battle her in Undella Town during Spring and Summer. After losing, she will confess that she was reminded of the trainer who captured Giratina. You can also rebattle her in the spring or summer.
- Before Battle
- (Only when she is challenged the first time)
"One look tells me many things about you. Together, you and your Pokémon overcame all the challenges you faced, however difficult. It means you triumphed over any personal weaknesses, too. The power you learned... I can feel it emanating from you. That's enough talking. Let's get on with why you are here. I, Cynthia, accept your challenge as the Pokémon League Champion! There won't be any letup from me!"
- (Second battle)
"Have you been keeping well? Thank you for Mt. Coronet. Or the Distortion World. I am truly grateful. Together, you and your Pokémon overcame all the challenges you faced, however difficult. It means you triumphed over any personal weaknesses, too. The power you learned... I can feel it eminating from you. That' enough talking. Let's get on with why you are here. I, Cynthia, accept your challenge! There won't be any letup from me!"
- During Battle
- (When her last Pokémon is out)
"I can't remember the last time I was put in a corner like this!"
- (Last Pokémon, low in health)
"I won't let this end yet! This match is too fun to let it end this easily!"
- Before Battle (Black and White versions)
- "Before I send out my Pokémon, my heart always begins to race... Interesting... My Pokémon in their Poké Balls are radiating a happy feeling. Are you the reason? What are you?"
- During Battle (Black and White versions)
- (Last Pokémon out)
"When was the last time I was driven into a corner like this?"
- (Last Pokémon, low hp)
"You haven't won yet! I won't let a fun battle end so easily!"
- (After battle)
"My heart is pounding so hard because I had such a heated battle with you. You really are a great trainer!"
|DP battle sprite
||Pt battle sprite
||BW battle sprite
||B2W2 battle sprite
In the anime
Cynthia in the Anime episode Top-Down Training
Cynthia's debut appearance was in the episode Top-Down Training. It was here that she was challenged by Paul to a Pokémon battle. Cynthia easily defeated Paul using only her Garchomp.
Cynthia appeared again in the episodes Losing Its Lustrous and Double Team Turnover! where she was seen battling members of Team Galactic as they attempted to steal the Lustrous Orb.
Cynthia later encountered Team Galactic a second time when she helped Ash and his friends free Dialga and Palkia from their control.
In Memories are Made of Bliss, Ash watched Flint's Infernape battle against her Garchomp's powerful Stone Edge on live television. Ash enjoyed watching the battle and became determined to become a stronger trainer.
In Arceus and the Jewel of Life, Cynthia made a cameo appearance, battling against Palmer's Milotic with her Garchomp.
She reunited with Ash in BW087
and met Iris and Cilan
Cynthia meeting Iris and Cilan, the new "Dawn" and "Brock".
and told them of a tournament where the winner battles Alder. She helped Ash take care of a Meloetta and battled Iris.
In the manga
Cynthia appeared in "Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventures!" As Hareta is fighting a Team Galactic grunt, she trips him up and beats him in a battle. She is also related to the Celestic Town elder.
Later in the Diamond and Pearl books she challenges Mitsumi to a battle, Mitsumi forfits the battle. She becomes good friends with Mitsumi, and helps Hareta later on in his quest.
In the anime
|Cynthia's main and most powerful Pokémon. Garchomp is seen in all of Cynthia's battles and has never been seen being defeated.
|Its first appearance was in Double Team
Turnover, where it battled Saturn and Team Galactic Grunts. It also appeared in Cynthia's battle with Aaron.
|Very little is known about Cynthia's Glaceon as it has only been seen once. However since it is used by a Pokemon Champion, it can be assumed that Glaceon is very powerful. It's only known move is Ice Beam.
In the games
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
Pokémon Black and White
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
- First Battle (Undella Town)
- Second Battle (Champion League Tournament)
Cynthia in a Cool New Outfit!
- She is the first Champion to be battled in two different generations, although she has the title "Pokémon Trainer" in Pokémon Black and White.
- Cynthia is the first female NPC to be an Elite Four Champion.
- As seen in her first appearance in the series, Cynthia was the first seen character to have read the Unown language.
- Cynthia makes an appearance in Pokémon Black and White, where she can be battled in Undella Town.
- When battled in Black and White, she has replaced Roserade and Togekiss with Braviary and Eelektross, respectively.
- She appears in Pokémon Black and White along with Caitlin and Looker.
- According to a female swimmer near Undella Town, Cynthia likes to go swimming in Undella Bay, but she only goes when no one else is there.
- Cynthia is the second champion without any type preferences, with the first being Blue.
- She is also the first Champion to use an Uber Pokémon: her Garchomp.